Tuesday, February 21, 2006

On the word 'but'

I promised a post on how I've cut the word but (with one 't') out of my vocabulary - here it is.

It's been said that inserting 'but' into a sentence cancels out everything that's said before it. Mirriam Webster defines but as "except for the fact" - which I think reinforces this understanding of the word.

I've found that usually when you insert but into a sentence, both the statement before the 'but' and the statement after the 'but' are true. For example - I was invited out of town with a friend this weekend, and I'm not going to be able to make it. I have to work and I have a meeting on Sunday. If I told my friend "I would love to go out of town with you but I have to work and I have a meeting" what I'm telling her is that I don't really want to go with her. If I say "I would love to go out of town with you and unfortunately I have to work and I have a meeting" I'm telling her that I appreciate the invite and I'm disappointed I can't make it.

Perhaps that wasn't the best example. I think it's more obvious how detrimental the word is in a sentence that starts "I love you but" or "I desire transformation but". If a short connector is what you're looking for I think 'and' is a much better option. It shows that all you're saying is true as you understand it. "I love you and" or "I desire transformation and" show where you're starting from and something that's holding you back from expressing that to the fullest.

That's my two cents. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Viv M. said...

good job maria!!!

and now, onto the word "should"!

Megs said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I love you AND I appreciate your willingness to cut but out of your vocab.