Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Everything you think about sales people is TRUE

Today was awful. Not a total loss - I had a fun dinner with Meghan - but awful nonetheless. The National Sales Manger has been in town for the past two days to help me learn how to be a better sales person. And my feeling that I didn't want to learn the things he wanted to teach me was right on! Turns out this guy gets excited about sales - I always thought sales was something you do until you find a job where you don't have to kiss someone else's ass 100% of the time to be successful. Plus - he wants to teach me how to con. How to pretend to be someone I'm not and promise things I don't have in order to get in the door. Seriously I sat in on a couple of phone calls he was making today where I don't think there was an ounce of truth in what he was saying. Well there was an ounce - he didn't lie about his name at any point in time. I was just getting more upset and more upset because I sooo will not lie. In fact most of the things he was trying to show me how to do I won't do. And if that gets me fired, that gets me fired.

Thankfully after he left I had a quick discussion with a coworker about it - and he felt the same way I did. So tomorrow I talk with my boss about it and we'll see where we go from there.

Oh - and one more thing - after he got some business for the company he told me "there's no way you could have gotten that listing, I needed my years of experience to know the right questions to ask and to feel him out." I'm not joking when I say that it took a lot of willpower to not physically hurt him at that point. It was after a couple of days of hearing about how fantastic he is and how long he's been with the company and how good he is at sweet talking receptionists. Arrrrrrrrrgh! (yup I'm a pirate) I want a new job soo bad! Hopefully I'll have something to report on that soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no aplique sweater-- I like this much better! (insert picture of my giving you a dirty look)
http://www.tampabays10.com/images/monkey-dress.jpg

Anonymous said...

maybe that's what my old boss did before he became a minister- and thought you should just keep BS'in your way through life! Jackass!
ck

Anonymous said...

love the new color! It's YOU! ck