Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dalai Lama in da House


Don't you just want to give this cute man a hug? And sit down with him and talk about life? I do. And I wouldn't necessarily recommend running out to buy a ticket to hear him speak in a big arena. For the record the picture is of the His Highness the 14th Dalai Lama and I heard him speak this afternoon in Denver.

I honestly didn't know much about him or the Dalai Lama before I went - the extent of my knowledge was that he's the exiled leader of Tibet, he's the leader of Buddhism or at least the monks and that he's pro-peace. I was curious to see what he had to say and a friend was getting tickets - so I went in on the whole deal. After waiting in line for a half an hour just to get in the building (still don't have any idea why!) and listening to some Tibetan music and an intro by the Mayor of Denver he took the stage.

I tried hard for a while to understand what he was saying through his thick accent and after a while I gave up. Because I was bored. From what I could understand his main point was that if we all live compassionately and have a warm heart full of love the world would be a better place and we'd all be happy, or at least happier. And I agree - wholeheartedly. I just wasn't wowed by what he said. I'll admit I got the chills when he entered the room - and I believe he has great influence in the world and I"m thankful he's against war. And I still think I'd like to sit down with him and have coffee or a glass of wine - just wasn't impressed with his speech for the masses.

No comments: