Sunday, December 24, 2006

More than just a Shovel

I'm getting ready to have Christmas Eve dinner and then later take in a Christmas Eve church service. I took a break to take pictures of the snow that has started to fall again in Denver and there was a knock on the door. It was a neighbor - a neighbor I know a teeny bit about because the door to his place is near our porch and so I see him come and go a lot when hanging out on the porch. In any case - he asked to borrow my shovel because I had it set out in the hall so not to get all the slushy snowy wetness in the apartment. I was more than happy to loan the shovel mainly because it's not even my shovel to begin with - a very very nice girl whom I like to call Jenny from the Block - loaned it to me on Friday morning and I have yet to bring it back...oots! In any case what Jenny from the Block doesn't know is that by loaning it to me she's so far (that I know of) loaned it also to Nick & Wendy and two of my neighbors.

It made me think actually in this Christmas season of something I was taught on a number of occasions in the past 2 years - first at Mars Hill and then here in Denver - that it's not good news unless it's good news for everybody. It's a stretch I know - and bear with me. I've been thinking a lot today about God the Father and his love for the world and I've been struck with this sense that if it's not good news for everybody then it's not really good news. I guess all I'm trying to say is that in this Christmas season I want to live my life in such a way that I'm good news for everyone. Good for me. Good for you. And good for the World.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Love, mgd

2 comments:

Viv M. said...

love it - love you!

see ya in a bit for dinner!

Anonymous said...

"It's not good news if it's not good news for everybody."

I like that.