Saturday, August 26, 2006

Experiencing the Theory

Well it's Saturday. Hooray! And I've actually gotten some things done around the house - like do the dishes from the entire week since I haven't done them at all this week! And Viv and I are going to Thornton later! I do not like the suburbs and yet it's nice to be able to hit Ulta, Old Navy and Walmart all in one fell swoop.

Last night I had a beautiful night at the Cork House and then on our porch with good friends, good food and good drinks. And today I am struck again with sadness and anger about some of our realities. We had a lot of good laughs at reality's expense last night. The laughs being funny because of all the bizarre perceived realities in them. I want to be able to step outside of it. I want to be able to escape the pain, sadness, anger that I feel right now to see the truth. To see reality. Because I have a hunch that what I will see is all the things I think are the point, all the things that are f-ed up and painful, all the ways in which it seems to me as though I've made choices that have sent the collective us down a destructive path aren't the point. Jesus had a way of showing people the things they thought were the point aren't the point. The point is him. I wish he would show that to me. I want to believe it. I have great examples of people believing it. And I'm tired of borrowing. I want to experience it for myself. Is it too much to ask to believe an experience instead of an idea? Cause right now it feels to me like another theory - an idea that's good in theory but not in practice.

2 comments:

Christy said...

girl-- I know what you mean-- read my blog-- it's a song for you to think about! ck

Nick Richtsmeier said...

Maria, My hope for you is that you would see Jesus in the pain and confusion. Whatever it is that he wants you to see as 'not the point,' we can't see it until we let ourselves be honest about what we think the point is... and sometimes that is the pain and confusion itself. I know you will find Him in the seeking... sometimes its just in unexpected places. I am praying for you to find places that aren't just borrowed, but places all your own.