Wednesday, August 16, 2006

100 years


I think it's been about a million years since I've posted - and I've been BUSY living like I don't have 100 years to live! I went to Michigan on Saturday - left my house at 3:30 am - which was just plain to early! And the premise for which I was going to GR was for a family weekend. Except that wasn't really the whole story. I was really going to try and pull off a surprise party for my parents (who often read this blog, which is why you haven't heard anything...). They both turn 50 in 2006 so my sisters and I threw them a joint 100 year surprise birthday party - and it was AWESOME! They were surprised and people came and the food was good and it was fun and a ton of work. Props to everyone who helped - my sisters, Burt, Tim, Beth, all of you who kept the secret - THANK YOU!

I also had some amazing time with friends in Grand Rapids. Had dinner, played shuffleboard, drank Oberon and laughed and laughed on Saturday night. Sunday night I went to Mars Hill with Burt, Tim and Beth and then tried to go to Cottage Bar. Which is closed on Sunday...grr. Except then we went to Bombay Cuisine - which was beautiful and so yummy. I even got to go to Fat Boy!

In the end I didn't spend a ton of time with my family - and I didn't get any pictures. However the whole thing was way way fun! When I got to the airport I expected Sheralee to pick me up - in the car. But when I got to the top of the escalator - she, Viv and Jim were there with a big sign that said GORT in nail polish - hilarious and made coming back fun!

Then last night we went up to Lookout Mountain and Buffalo Bill's grave to have a picnic. It was so so fun! We grilled on the park grill, had Oberon that made it home in my suitcase, some wine, hamburgers, corn on the cob and potato mushroom skewers. Oh - and oreos. We grilled, talked, listened to music and danced on top of the picnic table in the dark. Love it! (the pic at the top is Jim, Vivian and Sheralee with Oberon and the grill...)

And now I'm exhausted. That I've-been-busy-having-fun satisfied exhaustion. Back to reality :) Oh - and I put a couple more pictures on my fotki site - you can link to it from the menu on the right...

3 comments:

Viv M. said...

one of the best meals I've had in a long time... mmm...

Joel Swagman said...

sounds like a good week. Did you meet up with a lot of BB people? Is the old gang still around?

Maria said...

I was only in town for 48 hours and was completely distracted by the party so I really didn't get to see many old BB people. I know Kathryn, Michelle and Melissa are still around - in fact Melissa got married on Friday night. I did spend a bunch of time with Beth who was up from Chicago and saw Pasta at Mars Hill - he does audio stuff with a very good friend of mine.