Friday, October 03, 2008

Detox Journal

I have a gut (no pun intended) feeling that this blog may turn into a detox journal for the next two weeks. Today I started a two week cleanse - under the supervision of my nutritionist. So please don't worry, this is safe.

The detox consists of a restricted diet - no gluten, no dairy, no soy, no oranges, no corn, no refined sugar, no caffeine and a short list of meats (i.e. I can have chicken but not beef). This is not much different than the diet I'm already on per her recommendations this summer - and I've been feeling like a different person. On top of the restricted diet I'll be taking some supplements. They're from a company called Metagenics and the regimen I'll be taking is called SUSTAIN. Feel free to google it if you're really interested. :) It works (in the words of the nutritionist) like a broom to sweep out all the toxins that my body is housing. Right now they're tucked away, not causing any specific harm, but the idea is that the build up is what may be causing some of my discomfort.

When those toxins are released I may see some side effects and that's where the Detox Journal comes in. I may just need to vent, or keep track. Or - the nutritionist suggested that a lot of times this process turns very introspective - and as longtime (if you can call 2.5 years longtime) readers of this blog know that for me turning introspective sometimes means putting the things I've learned or that I'm thinking about out there. As though stating them for all to see makes it more real. More like something I can't avoid.

As an aside - I'm not sure about getting to the farmer's markets this weekend so I'm trying out a new service: Door to Door Organics. As the name suggests it's a delivery service that brings fresh fruits and veggies right to your door. (or in my case right to the office.) They're active in Denver and Grand Rapids - so I'll let you know how it works out just in case you're interested in trying it. I've also been tempted lately to utilize the local grocery store's delivery service. But I think I'll hold out on that until it gets really cold.

Wish me luck :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria! Stumbled upon your blog and I'm glad to hear you are giving Door to Door a shot. I hope the service works out well for you, let me know how it goes or if there's anything I can do!

Wayne(@doortodoororganics.com)
(the Door to Door web guy)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the detox these coming weeks. I'll be interested in hearing how it goes. Do you have any specific resources that your nutritionist recommends for someone thinking of reducing gluten from his/her diet?

Maria said...

Yes - she gave me a few handouts and directed me to celiac.com. Personally I find celiac.com very cumbersome and hard to navigate so I googled gluten-free and have found a huge network for gluten-free bloggers.

What I've found most helpful from those bloggers is their post about what happened and how they felt when they first found out they had celiac disease. (which I most likely don't have)

Are you thinking of going Gluten-free? I can send you copies of the handouts she gave me if you'd like.

Kristin Gort said...

is there really such a thing as organic vegetables
guess who

Maria said...

Excuse me - organically grown produce :) DAD.