Thursday, October 23, 2008


Ladies and Gentlemen, well mostly Ladies, I watched a great movie, in great company last night. Sheralee hosted a movie night where we watched (with many discussion pauses) Iron Jawed Angels. It's an HBO movie starring Hilary Swank, Angelica Houston and Julia Ormond, among others, that chronicles the story of the Suffragettes who won women in the US the right to vote. I have to say that while I have actively avoided talking politics on this blog, this movie reminded me of the huge sacrifices women made just so that I could have the right to vote.

There was a time in this election hoopla where I had decided not to vote. Not because I didn't think my vote would count. Not because I didn't want to stand in line. Not because I was too lazy to figure out the issues and what I thought of them. No. Mostly it was because the United States I would like to see, is so radical that neither of the major party candidates come close to reflecting my views. Since declaring this I've realized that while I'm still torn about a great number of things I can step off of my ideological high horse and vote for a candidate that is closer. Until I'm ready to run, or until I'm as brave as these beautiful women, that's the best that I can do. It's the small, small way that I'm raising my voice.

Also, with that voice, I highly recommend adding this film to your Netflix cue. I know I'm glad Sheralee did.

1 comment:

Virginia Harris said...

I believe that my generation of women was the first to come of age with most of us believing, taking it for granted, assuming that the world would be fair to us and that our future would be glorious.

Of course, that hasn't always been the case, though my life has been blessed with amazing opportunities that my mother and grandmother would not have dreamed of.

But when I realized that I didn't know how my freedom happened I set out on a journey of discovery and I am now strengthened by the inspiration of countless suffragettes.

I realize I stand on their strong shoulders, and on the shoulders of other women who keep pushing for more than voting rights, who demand the full range of human rights for women.

I want to share that inspiration with other women.

Can you even imagine being a woman and NOT being able to vote?

Thanks to the suffragettes, America has women voters and wide range of women candidates, and we are a better country for it!

Women have voices and choices! Just like men.

But few people know ALL of the suffering that our suffragettes had to go through, and what life was REALLY like for women.

Now you can subscribe FREE to my exciting e-mail series that goes behind the scenes in the lives of eight of the world's most famous women to reveal the shocking and sometimes heartbreaking truth of HOW women won the vote.

Thrilling, dramatic, sequential short story e-mail episodes have readers from all over the world raving about the original historical series, "The Privilege of Voting."

Read this FREE e-mail series on your coffeebreaks and fall in love with these amazing women!

Subscribe free at

www.CoffeebreakReaders.com/subscribe.html