Friday, July 20, 2007

Serving or Servicing

I haven't posted anything about my word annoyances on here lately so I figured it was time for another. Many of the people I work with insist on selling the company's abilities by telling clients that we will service them with top-of-the line equipment, blah, blah, blah.

Why can we not just say we will serve them? The mechanic services your car. Service is slang for fornication. We will serve our clients and in so doing we will offer them exceptional customer service. We will not service them.

2 comments:

Beek's Fam said...

Hey Maria! It's me Julie. I saw your blog from Shanna's page. I'm so excited now to read about what's going on in your life! You'll have to check out my blog too. Miss ya!!!
Julie

Alisha said...

I know this post is old, but I found it when searching for "servicing vs. serving" because I also hate it. I'm a teacher, and the lady who is in charge of the Gifted and Talented program says she's "servicing" the students. I don't know if I just have a dirty mind, but I also think of something dirty, and in the dictionary it says it is used to describe bulls' mating. I think the lengthening of words must make people feel more educated. Like "orienting" vs "orientating"