Friday, July 13, 2007

Oh - I'm Not Your Honey

How do you ask someone you work with to stop calling you honey? There's this girl I work with - she and I have basically the same position within the company - and every time she says thank you or asks me to do something she addresses me as honey. She doesn't do it any other time and my gut reaction is to reply like this: {attitude finger wave} "Oh, I'm not your honey, so you can stop calling me that." I'm fairly certain this is neither professional nor productive so I've held my tongue.

Problem is, I don't have any better ideas and it irritates me to no end! It feels condescending, especially because she only uses it when she's trying to get me to do something for her, and in my humble (or not so humble) opinion it's unprofessional and unnecessary. So how do I ask her to stop without it seeming like an attack?

3 comments:

Shanna said...

Maybe you should start calling her honey also, and when she doesn't like it, maybe she will stop calling you honey!!! :) okay probably not the greatest idea, but it would be funny!!

Joel Swagman said...

I don't have any great ideas either. Every time she says "honey", politely correct "Maria"? Pretend you can't hear her when she says Honey?

Viv M. said...

whenever she says honey, call her muffin... that would stop me...