Monday, July 16, 2007

If Ya Ain't Dutch...

(in unison now)...ya ain't much. At least that's how the saying goes. And according to the Denver Post, if ya ain't dutch, ya ain't taller than everybody else. Now I know the tallest man in the world just got married and he's Chinese but (drum roll please) the Dutch are now taller than Americans! Anyone who's been to West Michigan would have thought this to already be true (if you would have asked me I would have thought so), but now it's official. Here's my favorite part of the article:

"Does it really matter? Does being taller give the Dutch any advantage over, say, the Chinese (men, 5 feet, 4.9 inches; women, 5 feet, 0.8 inches) or the Brazilians (men, 5 feet, 6.5 inches; women, 5 feet, 3 inches)?

Many economists would argue that it does matter, because height is correlated with numerous measures of a population's well-being. The same things that make someone tall - a nutritious diet, good prenatal care and a healthy childhood - also are beneficial in health, wealth and longevity. Maybe even intelligence. "

Maybe? Maybe? I'd say absolutely.

3 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

I couldn't agree more

Viv M. said...

any studies on Dutchs and Puerto Ricans? I'm 5'3"...

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I'm not only Dutch, I'm Frisian and I'm still only 5'9"