Saturday, January 27, 2007

We're in Agreement Then?

I was thinking yesterday a lot about agreement. Mostly about where the need for agreement comes from. I'm sure it's not totally universal, however, it seems that most times I'm discussing something - anything - with another person one or the other of us (myself included) or both are working hard to get the other to agree with us. Not just see things from our perspective. Not just understand our point of view. Ultimately what we want is to leave the conversation with the same conclusion. And if we're honest I think the conclusion of "we'll agree to disagree" is not what we're going for.

Where does this come from? The need, desire, effort towards homogeneous thought? It seems as though everywhere you look diversity is being celebrated. And yet it still seems as though the goal is making all of our differences little because x thing is the same.

Part of me wants other people to think like me. God knows I don't want to think like anyone else. ("I can do it myself" right Mom?) And yet most of the time I would like to think that I genuinely just want to hear and be heard. Learn and teach. Does it still come down to love and be loved? I don't know, and I've been thinking about it.

In other news: Any readers in the Denver area have a piano they want to get rid of? Dave recently offered to keep a piano at his band's practice site for a portion of the rent and I'm completely tempted now. Just need to find a cheap starter piano.

No comments: