Monday, January 15, 2007

90 Days

I've made it 90 days at my new job. For the third time in just over a year. Time to bring in the personal items - which include a beautifully framed copy of one of my last projects in Grand Rapids featuring the picture you see here.

After last week and the events of the past year I'm continuing to have doubts about how hard I work, how lazy I am, how much I procrastinate, and how much I really do enjoy what I'm doing. I really love creating things, and writing and being creative which seems like marketing would be a good fit. I also love talking to people - which seems like it would be a good fit for marketing and sales except for the fact that I am not skilled nor do I desire to be skilled in the art of persuasion. I sometimes wish I wouldn't get bored sitting at the front desk somewhere and answering phones and talking to people. If the company were busy enough and the pay was high enough to make the rent I sometimes think that I could be so happy and content just sitting at the front desk. It's possible that the feminist side of me, which is usually fairly docile, has reared it's head in my work life. (And I say work life because I have no desire to climb some corporate ladder - I want to find something I like that pays the bills and then do it and do it well.) But back to the point of this rambling - that perhaps the tame feminist in me doesn't think that being a receptionist is good enough work. That it's demeaning. Which if you were to ask me straight up I would deny wholeheartedly - there are people I love who do just that and I think they're incredible women.

When I lived in Michigan I had a volunteer gig at the church I was attending. Each Sunday morning I would sit at the front of the preschool area and greet people as they entered and help new people find their way. I loved it. I wanted to do it every day. Perhaps this is a part of why the dream I talked about in an earlier post is so appealing. Because in that world I would spend so much time just talking to people. I would however for the dream have to learn how to be persuasive. So there's that. In any case - the 90 day mark has set me to thinking. Again. Sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on this! I went to school for marketing and I have no desire to persuade anyone for anything. I am job hunting now and am thinking that it wouldn't be so bad to be a receptionist...really, not bad at all.