Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Silver Lining

I think all this free time I've been thrown into lately has actually been good for me in a backhanded sort of way. In an ideal world I would have a job that paid the bills and that I loved getting up for in the morning. I can't actually remember a time when all three of those were true for me at the same time. I've had jobs that I loved getting up for. I've had jobs that paid the bills. And right now I love getting up in the morning - mainly because I get to make choices that I want to make. I'm not tied to some sort of employer. Well technically I'm tied to the State of Colorado as an employer, and they're not asking too much from me at the moment.

I've been able to do some reading. I've been truly able to look forward to the small things - I recently told a friend I had never in my life been so excited about toilet paper and toothpaste. (As an aside - I learned the hard way that I can't handle cheap toilet paper. Had to get the soft stuff.) I've been able to spend time with people that I love and make new friends, and I truly believe that by taking care of myself well during this time of unemployment I'm setting myself up well to be healthy when I can finally get back into a job.

What's been on my mind lately is that for the last two years I've learned over and over again that life does not turn out how I think it's going to or how I'm planning on it to be. This time around I've been lucky enough to see that maybe life not going the way I've planned isn't necessarily a bad thing. Yes - I would have absolutely chosen to not be unemployed. Yes - I would absolutely prefer to be working right now. And - I do get to drink coffee in my bed every morning. And - I do get to spend the entire day with a friend casually going from one thing to the next. It's not all bad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be an inappropriate topic to comment on, but since you brought up the whole toilet paper thing. Ever since my four years at Calvin using their cardboard-inspired toilet paper I haven't been able to get used to the soft stuff. It is just too darn nice. I actually try and find the cheaper, harder stuff. Its weird how that works.

Christy said...

yea for enjoying life-- I think we as americans suck at that! I hope you keep livin it up and that once you are employed you don't lose your love of life and the little decisions.
i love you
ck

Anonymous said...

you might want to check your links...one of them seems very out of character, for both you and him.

Maria said...

Well AC I was about to get angry with you again until I realized that the blog must have been taken over by spammers since this friend ended the blog. too bad. thanks for the tip.

Viv M. said...

anonymous is dumb.