Tuesday, September 25, 2007

(Not So) Random Fall Reflection

I think I might be the only person who ends up reflecting on the past year in the Fall. It feels absolutely random to be thinking about the past year as everyone else is gearing up to start new for fall by starting school, and watching all the new television and buying sweaters. I'd like to be starting a new job soon to celebrate fall and I'm working hard to do what I can to make sure that happens. Today marks my birthday and September also marks the move to Denver which sometimes feels like yesterday and other times feels much much longer than just two years ago.

But back to the reflecting, because I've been absolutely thinking about the past year for the past few days. It's been another year of intense change that didn't come without pain, as I'm slowly learning is the way of life. As I sit here reflecting I'm realizing that for the first time in a long time I'm feeling some sort of peace and contentment. I've been afraid of contentment, believing it to be synonymous with complacency. Thinking that the moment I'm content is the moment I'm missing something. However, in the last year I've settled into this feeling of being at home in the questions and uncomfortable in absolutes and I think I'm feeling the same way about contentment. Perhaps this means I'm learning that change is the way of life. And not in that cliche way that people are always talking about. In a way that's real to me.

Here's to the changes of the next year. May they be a little easier to experience the next time around and may they bring goodness, truth and beauty.

4 comments:

Viv M. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday! And here's to a "new" year ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Maria! I enjoy checking out your blog every now and again! Your honesty is really refreshing! =)

Kellie Steen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Maria. I hope this "new" year brings more satisfaction for you.