Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Book Non-Review

I'm in the middle of reading this book - The Question of God - and so far I am loving it. I haven't loved a book in quite a while, so it feels pretty good.

One of the things that bothers me the most is when people answer my questions by saying "that's the way we've always done it" or "that's the way it's always been done." There's got to be a reason that the first person who did it that way chose. A good example is Sheralee's story of the woman who cut of both ends of a roast before she put it in the pan to cook it. When asked why she answered that it was the way her mother did it. Someone asked the woman's mother why she did it that way and she said that was the way her mother did it. Someone asked the woman's grandmother why she did it that way and she said that the pan she had was too small to fit a full roast and she couldn't afford a new pan so she cut off the ends. The woman had a large pan, but still cut of the ends of the roast without thinking about it.

I haven't posted much about my inner journey lately - it's been busy and intense and I've been questioning most everything I've believed to this day in my life. I am loving this book because it attempts to lay out why two revered historical figures believed the things they did. Both men seem to have chosen paths that were understandable and thoughtful. It's like reading a discussion that had it really happened would have been monumental. Truly interesting if you ask me.

No comments: