Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Found: In My Apartment

I have a plastic tub where I stick stuff that I think someday I might want to look back on, or I might want to show my kids should I ever have any. I found this box last night when I was beginning to pack up my apartment and I opened it up and this poem was on top.

Dearest Maria,
You represent to me the best of all the future has to offer.
You are like the 2 of Hearts.
Like the Queen of Hearts,
The Ace of any suite.
If you were a tree, I would be the 4 of spades
If You were sugar, I would be the 8 of any suite
Without Your Love, I am the 10 of clubs.
To obtain your sweet company, I would draw a joker.
With you, I feel richer than any diamond.
My deck of cards will never be complete
Until you give me back my Heart.

I laughed so loud - the poem was one in a series that a friend wrote to me and a third friend after losing a bet. A bet about whether or not this friend and I could be in bed before midnight (or maybe it was 1:00) every night for an entire week. If we lost we had to clean his dorm bathroom - and I don't know how he thought he could win with that disgusting task on the table. The entire story is still funny to me and I'm glad I kept the poems.

3 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

I had completely forgotten about that. It was Bosch and I who wrote the poems right? I think this was one of mine

Maria said...

You totally did write this one and I had forgotten all about it too!

Viv M. said...

wow - that's hillarious!