Sunday, November 25, 2007

Laundry Inflation

I've just been reminded of that thing you learn in kindergarten - sometimes one naughty kid can spoil it for the rest of the class. I've just come up from the laundry room where a wash and dry of one load of laundry has gone up 75 cents. Now - in the long run 75 cents isn't that much money - however, what used to cost me $1.75 now costs $2.50, which translates to a 42% increase in the cost of doing laundry. There was a note taped to both washers and both dryers indicating that it had cost the landlord a hefty repair bill to fix the machine after someone had gotten a quarter with a string attached to it stuck. (i.e. they were trying to rip off the machine) My landlord seems to have taken this a bit personally and has understandably raised laundry prices to cover her costs. I really like my landlord - mostly because she's invested in making the building a great place to live - and I think that's probably why she took this personally. That and any attack on your pocketbook takes a little away from you - at least it does to me. My only wish (and I understand this is a pipe dream) is that whoever did this could take responsibility so that laundry costs could go down a bit. Whew - feel a bit better now - thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that stinks-- I love having a washer!

Christy said...

are you alive!!?? Are you snowed in!?? Hope all is well and you didn't lose your internet cause you had a hike in laundry costs! ;) hehe!
ck