Saturday, November 03, 2007

Grass Is Greener?

My high school class celebrated it's 10th Anniversary with a dinner in October. I didn't go to Michigan for the occasion, and honestly I probably wouldn't have gone even if I did live in Michigan. Unlike most people, I have almost no good memories of high school and the only reason I would be tempted to go is to see who got fat. Harsh yes, and it's the truth nonetheless.

I did however order the commemorative book to see what was going on with people. Seems I'm in the 5% of people who aren't married with at least one kid living in the suburbs of Grand Rapids. It was interesting to me that my reaction was almost one of relief. If you would have asked me 10 years ago where I would be in 10 years I would have said by 28 I would absolutely be married and have kids - although I would have been living in the city, probably in Chicago. I've always loved the city. In any case, I can't remember a time where I've been so thankful not to have what I thought I wanted. Do I still want a family - yes - however I don't want to have a typical suburban family. I'm sure that my classmates find some joy in being a family - most of them listed having kids or getting married as their greatest accomplishment. Thing is, I want a family and so much more out of life and I think that the bumpy road I'm on is the right one for me.

Moral of the story - this is the first time in a while I truly feel like the grass is greener on my side of the fence.

No comments: