Sunday, January 13, 2008

Where are the People?

My social life lately has been pretty damn lame. I have a number of close friends here in Denver who I love and who's time I enjoy sharing. The flip side of that coin is that my social circles are fairly small - so I have many weeks like this week where there was really nothing going on. Making it feel harder is the broke that I've been experiencing lately.

As I mentioned in the last post this past week was particularly hard - much of that because I sat home a lot and my phone didn't ring and the people I normally spend time with often had other things going on. So, this afternoon I signed up for a couple volunteer opportunities and a couple of groups on a website called meetup.com. I'll let you know how these things work out.

I used to have the following conversation over and over with a friend:

Person 1: Where are the guys?
Person 2: They're not at church.
Person 1: They're not at work.
Person 2: They're not at the bar.
Person 1: They're not at Four Friends.
Person 2: So how the hell are we supposed to meet them?

We have yet to answer that question. I'm feeling similarly about making friends in a new town. I've been here a little more than two years and the people I know and spend my time with are all people who I met right after I moved here through Radius. Radius story aside, I wonder sometimes what my life would look like had I moved somewhere without knowing a single soul. Would I have friends? I'm a friendly person generally, but that first step of actually meeting people is sometimes hard for me. Anyway - this ramble is all to say - I hope that I can follow through on my New Year's resolution to meet more people.

1 comment:

Christy said...

i love you-- sorry I missed your calls this week. :( This week was super crazy. I give you big props for getting out there and getting involved- hard to do- but I have no doubt you will succeed! I will call you this week. mwwwaahh! ck