Sunday, January 06, 2008

Step 1


I took a first step today in my quest to save money, pay down debt, and live more financially responsibly. I canceled the insurance on my car (which looks a lot like the one in the picture). Well - I didn't actually cancel it, I took it down to the absolute minimum so that I can't drive my car but should I decide to reinstate the insurance I'll have had consistent insurance and my rate at that point would not be inflated for lack of insurance.

This is a trial period to test how my lifestyle would change if I sold my car. I rarely drive my car - mostly to the grocery, Target and an occasional trip to Walmart or the mall. I believe that I could sell my car and pay off a bit of debt and save on insurance and gas costs. Plus - most of my unexpected expenses listed in the last post have been car related, so hopefully I could avoid some of those as well. The bus goes almost anywhere I go and I could rent a car for about 4 days a month with the money I'd be saving on gas and insurance so if I needed or wanted to go somewhere I could rent a car inexpensively. I already don't trust my car in the mountains and so would need to rent a car anyway should I want to head up there. The thing I don't want to do is to be constantly asking for rides - thus the trial period. If I can make it work then I would like to. I'm sure you'll be hearing about how it works out.

No comments: