Thursday, November 23, 2006

This is Not Obligatory

I am usually quite resistant to the Thanksgiving activities that include everyone going around in a circle and saying what they're thankful for. It rarely feels authentic to me - for plenty of reasons some of them having to do with the fact that for most of my life I was a kid and didn't really understand.

Today however - at least for this moment - I am sitting in what feels like a state of true thankfulness. Certainly triggered by the holiday, and genuine nonetheless. For those of you who have read this blog from it's inception a little less than a year ago you've probably caught a glimpse into the struggle that was this last year. I hope as well that you've caught a taste of the turnaround that has been the last couple of months. I sit in gratefulness in this moment for much of it. I'm thankful for

  • the sense of growth that I feel - I'm not the same girl I was a year ago
  • the discovery of the life cycle for myself - and by that I mean the sense of a life that hit a wall, died a little bit and is coming back to real life in beautiful ways
  • a new job where I feel as though my skills and strengths are used, appreciated and encouraged
  • a new relationship where I feel happy, loved and all those little butterflies people tell you about
  • a sense of God for the first time in a long time - perhaps really honestly ever
  • friends, beautiful people, who have stuck by me and listened, laughed, cried and given counsel
  • 70 degree weather the week of Thanksgiving - perfect for open toed shoes
  • all you crazies who keep reading this thing
  • family, the blood related part that's thousands of miles away today and the family I do life with

And of course - here's to the feast of later today. I'm excited to relax and eat!

2 comments:

Christy said...

happy turkey day! I am so thankful for you & I love stickin around and doing life together. I can't wait for what's next! :) Love you!
ck

Viv M. said...

GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!!

I love that you're thankful thoughts are straight from your heart and not an "obligatory" measure. I'm honored to be a witness of the growth you speak off... it's real... to the next year to come :-)