Thursday, July 03, 2008

Half Day

Today I am thankful for the benefits of working for my company. Our office closes at 1:00 today and barring any major emergency (seriously, no one is going to die if this brochure isn't finalized) I get to leave early and I don't have to be back until Monday morning! Between a real holiday and the floating holiday I used as a vacation day this past Monday I have a 2 1/2 day week. Pretty awesome.


I've had a lot on my mind this week. One major thing is this question of whether I'm selling myself short by working at my current position. I'm sure someone could make the case to me that I am, and they would have reasons and logic and passion. I however, don't think that I am.

First, I'm in a supporting role. As much as I don't love having the title "Senior Administrative Assistant" I know that while I'm creative, I'm not a visionary. I'm good at taking what someone else has started and making it better. I'm not as strong when it comes to starting things from scratch. I have plenty of leadership qualities, I just realize, based on past job experience, that I'm still developing those skills and they're not ready to be unleashed full time. I'm hoping to get there, and, I'm 28 for crying out loud.

Second, I do have the opportunity to be creative. Within boundaries, certainly, and creative nonetheless. The more I cultivate this creative side, the more I realize that I feel most alive when I'm being creative, or am around creative people.

Third, I am paid well enough to live comfortably without having to burn the midnight oil. I crave balance almost as much as I crave creativity. This job is giving me the opportunity to fall into a rhythm of life that looks balanced. I haven't been using that opportunity to its fullest, and, like thing 1 and thing 2, this job offers me the opportunity for growth.

Fourth, I'm building relationships. I crave this too, and the job has led me to people I never would have met otherwise. I hope to find friendship and relationship all over, and yet, the job is offering something that's pretty rare at the moment - friendship.

I think the realization I've come to is that I'm not there. I'm never going to be "there," whatever that means. This job leaves me so much opportunity for personal growth and I truly believe (as I did when I took this position) that it's the right place for right now. When it's not the right place, I'll move again. I do hope however that moving jobs is not in my near future.

No comments: