Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sweet Revenge


I read a story yesterday online that made my heart skip a beat. I then felt guilty about it because I really don't like to wish harm on people, but I do know that sometimes when you make poor choices it comes back to haunt you.

From October 2006 until August 2007 I was employed by a company called Disaster Restoration, Inc. I have not named them on this website until now for a number of reasons. 1, I don't want any employer of mine finding this blog if I can help it, and 2, I had nothing nice to say and was under a year long contract that threatened fines if I bad mouthed the company or any of its employees. I'm not sure that contract would have held up in court, but I was going with the better safe than sorry mantra on that one.

About 2 months into the job I showed up at work (along with all my coworkers) to find US Postal Inspectors serving a federal search warrant on the company with guns drawn. We were all herded into a back conference room, our contact information was taken, and we were ushered out of the building. I never got a straight answer from anyone what it was all about (typical I think of circumstances surrounding an ongoing investigation) but I knew the raid had something to do with an investigation into insurance and mail fraud. I knew that the company was under continuing investigation at least until I was let go last August and I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the reason I was let go was because the company couldn't keep up with its legal bills and pay its employees.

For the record, I hated that job with my entire being. I was not happy about being unemployed when I was fired, but I was certainly happy not to have to step foot in that building ever again. I was treated poorly, the job that I took was not the job that was presented to me in interviews, and someone raised their voice at me almost every day. Some of it is funny now - like when Michael Griggs was angry with me for something and he told me that it really "chaps his ass". Who says that!? Because I hated the job so much, and because I have zero respect for the leadership there I was almost giddy when I read the following articles:



I felt a teensy bit guilty for being so excited that these men I had worked for were finally indicted because I'm not typically a believer in revenge. I'd like to think I'm a more graceful, live and let live kind of a girl. However, justice gave me a happy feeling in my belly today and I'm just going with it. The trial starts in two weeks. I'm very tempted to go and sit in the back of the courtroom and see what happens.

5 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

if only this kind of thing always happened to the jerks in our life

Gozo said...

That's unbelievable! I'm glad you're not working there anymore!

Maria said...

I agree with both of you!

Anonymous said...

Maria - I have never met you, nor do I wish to. I just have a question... didn't this company employ for some time? Didn't they pay your payroll and every check clear? How can you be so ungrateful? I know many people do not enjoy their current positions in every walk of life, but don't have you some pride and respect? I guess not, because if you did you want be humurous about others' misfortunes. I hope you realize how bad this makes YOU look. You titled this "Sweet Revenge"... just remember that when karma comes back and bites you in the ass.

Viv M. said...

Dear Anonymous,

First of all, you got some balls to go to someone's blog and say "I have never met you, nor do I wish to" and then sign as "anonymous".

Really classy...

Second, although I agree with you to some level that there needs to be a level of gratefulness for being employed and having a paycheck, the reality is that a job is a contract, the employer pays you for doing the job you agreed to do.

If you read more carefully, you would have noticed that the job she ended up doing was not the job she agreed to do and the treatment she received was insulting. If you want to talk about Kharma, maybe it bit her former employee in the ass for abusing their clients and this posting is just a minor repercussion of it.

Finally, because I know Maria, and because I know she has pride and respect, I can tell you that I had never seen her as unhappy as when she was employed by this company, and she still managed to inject pride and respect into her work.

So to quote the hilarious Amy Poehler playing Hillary Clinton, Anonymous, "grow a pair, and if you can't, I'll lend you mine."