Monday, August 18, 2008

Summer of Swag

I'd like to officially name the summer of 2008 the Summer of Swag for me! Not only did I get to host the Nintendo girls party, I've now won an iPod Shuffle as part of the Downtown Denver Partnership's program to encourage people to take public transportation to work during the DNC next week. The point was to log how you've been commuting to work, each time you didn't drive you're entered into a drawing for prizes and today I won! How cool is that?

I would also like to give props to all you living gluten-free out there. My nutritionist suggested that I may be gluten sensitive or intolerant so I've (painfully) cut it out of my diet for the past week and a half. I'm just now starting to feel a bit better, and I can't decide what to feel if I find out that I really truly do need to go gluten-free for the long term. On the one hand, I would love to feel better, and on the other it's a big fat pain in the arse. I know I gradually learned and even embrace being dairy-free, but that took years. It's not even that I'm craving bread or anything that's blatantly filled with wheat, it's more that there is gluten in almost everything, and so doing anything is harder. I've taken reading labels to an entirely new level, and eating anywhere other than home is such a hassle. Asking for a gluten-free menu is one thing, but the (few) places I've done this had a menu full of gluten-free but dairy-heavy items. Looks like I may turn anti-social for a while until I get some of this figured out!

3 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

summer of Swag. i like that

3.2.1...Lets GO! said...

Just some encouragement on the whole gluten thing-it can be done. I had a friend that was extremely sensitive. I was amazed though at the food she could find-she did a lot of ordering on line-expecially for types of bread and also made a weekly stop at the natural food store. Good luck-it would be nice to find some other's in your area to see what they do.

Maria said...

Thanks for the encouragement Beth. I've been doing a lot of blog reading and have found a number of places and groups in Denver that I'm looking forward to trying out. It's nice to hear stories of people who make it work.