Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In case you've been living under a rock, or without television, radio, newspaper or (god forbid) the internet, the democrats have descended upon Denver for their national convention. So far I've stayed almost completely out of the action. Aside from hanging out in downtown on my lunch breaks trying to spot celebrities, I've really not gotten that involved. The thing is that it's turning out that so many of the activities and events that are open to the public are happening during the day while I (and much of the rest of Denver) am at work. Turns out democracy really is still for politicians.

Sitting now at 4:00 on day 2 I have yet to spot anyone famous. A friend of mine saw George Stephanopolous and the most she had to say was "that guy is really short!" I've heard that there's a screen actor's guild event at one of the clubs downtown - and it would be interesting to try and crash it - or to sit at a neighboring club and try to get a glimpse. The thing is I have other plans tonight, and (gasp!) I'm just not sure it's worth it. Unless of course I had a hella good camera and could be a temporary paparazi. Eh.

I will say that while my routine hasn't been adversely affected by the whole thing it sure has been fun to have all sorts of people downtown. There is so much energy - people everywhere - and that is fun. I do not like seeing all the cops with their big guns (even if they are rubber bullets) and plastic handcuffs and tear gas. It's really strange to see them wandering around just waiting for a protest.

We'll see what happens the next two days. Hopefully some rioting free celebrity sightings :)

No comments: