Monday, June 25, 2007

Done, Done I'm Done

So I've been trying to stick it out at my job for a few more months in an attempt to have a job in Denver that lasted more than 8 months. In the past week, however, the true colors of the management at my company has shown through even stronger than it has in the time I've been here and I'm done working for the man. Or perhaps more accurately - these men. I'm not quitting, I'm not overtly trying to get fired, I'm just stepping up the job search.

The last week has been otherwise good. My family was in town and it was great to be able to spend some time with them. We were able to watch the Rockies beat the Yankees in Coors Field, did a teeny bit of hiking, did some touristy stuff, and played a lot of games. Good times, good times.

Now it's back to the grind - a grind I'm up for changing, so we'll see what happens. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted :)

4 comments:

Christy said...

I love you. I want to come visit! Ryan and I were pondering ideas about it just yesterday. I don't know that anything will happen this year, but who knows! miss you!
ck

Enoreios said...

A few thoughts:

It seems that your motivations are right on. A few years back I took on my first job out of college, and it was everything I'd hoped for: Work I believed in, great challenges, and better pay than I could have hoped for...

Then my boss, (a good guy), quit so he could be with his wife while she got treatment for cancer. The owner, (who lived in another state), decided to move to Colorado and take over, and the abuse he subjected us to was incredible. He would literally have 5yr old-style fits, throw things, and slam doors. He abused and manipulated everyone around him. (And that's not a good idea when you have a small staff at an upstart business.)

Here's the point: It took me nearly a year before I quit. I was so invested in the work, (and really afraid of having to find a new job), that I put up with a really bad work environment for a long time. Looking back, I now see that it was making me miserable, but it took a while for me to acknowledge it and move on.

I give you a whole lot of credit for recognizing a bad situation and not just "sticking it out." Well done, and good luck.

PS: All of his staff quit within a few months of my leaving, and with all of his experienced engineers, etc. gone he had to sell the company. I hope he learned his lesson-- though I really do wish him the best.

Joel Swagman said...

It's always hard to find a new job while working full time isn't it? But best of luck

Maria said...

Thanks for the encouraging words enoreios - sounds like I may work for the same person you were working for. Throw in some swearing and tirades and we just might be talking about the same guy.

and Christy - I would LOVE for you to come to Denvah. Tomorrow. Keep me updated!